Inferno by Catherine Doyle

Blood for Blood #2

Romeo and Juliet meets The Godfather in the second installment of Catherine Doyle's Blood for Blood series.

Sophie's life has been turned upside-down, and she's determined to set things right. But Nic, the Falcone brother who represents everything she's trying to forget, won't give up on their love - and it's Luca's knife she clutches for comfort. Soon another mafia clan spoils the fragile peace - and with her heart drawn in one direction and her blood in another, Sophie's in deeper than ever.

In case you missed it, I'd like to point out that this is the second book in a series, so this review will have spoilers from the first book. If you haven't read the first book, go back and read the first book (because its end is awesome even if the rest of it always isn't) and then come back later. Or just go straight to reading this book, because this book was perfection.

Inferno takes place right after where Vendetta ended, and since the reader is right in the thick of things from the beginning of this book, every moment of the novel is filled with excitement. The mafia plays a much larger part in this installment than in the last, and several secrets about each character are revealed as the plot progresses. There are some really dark parts to the novel, especially at the end, at which point I was holding my breath in a rather painful attempt not to cry in front of my roommate. It was so dark, but there was also a heart-wrecking, romantically charged moment in the middle of it all - another scene that tried to pull tears out of my eyes. While there was so much more to the plot than just the romance, I have to talk about it, because of Luca aka the apple of my eye.

At the very end of Vendetta, readers get two letters. One from Luca to Sophie, and one from her to him. The last few pages of the book was the first moment I fell in love with the book, and the author took the small beginning between the two and exploded it in this book. Their scenes were full of wit and humor, and we get to see a side of Luca that wasn't apparent in the first book. The contrast between him and his brother Nic is rather astounding considering the impressions of each of them readers got in book one, and the author seamlessly wrote the book and plot in a way that let me feel good about hating Nic and loving Luca didn't make it seem like a love triangle at all. To be honest, I feel like going back and reading all of the Luca scenes again. So basically the whole book.

I tend to love books with good quotes in them, and this one had a ton. I highlighted so many different quotes/scenes in my kindle, and I get crazy emotional every time I read over them, or even simply think about them. Catherine Doyle, you are my hero.

Crazily enough, this series will always be in my head as an alternative to Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, so if you enjoyed the series, or like the idea of the series but not so much the writing, the vampires, or the romance, then I recommend these books. However, if you find book one boring, just wait until the end, because by then you'll be begging for book two (and Luca).


Rating: ★★★★

No comments:

Copyright © 2016 The Lone Reader. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.