Truthwitch by Susan Dennard

The Witchlands #1

On a continent ruled by three empires, some are born with a “witchery”, a magical skill that sets them apart from others.

In the Witchlands, there are almost as many types of magic as there are ways to get in trouble—as two desperate young women know all too well.

Safiya is a Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lie. It’s a powerful magic that many would kill to have on their side, especially amongst the nobility to which Safi was born. So Safi must keep her gift hidden, lest she be used as a pawn in the struggle between empires.

Iseult, a Threadwitch, can see the invisible ties that bind and entangle the lives around her—but she cannot see the bonds that touch her own heart. Her unlikely friendship with Safi has taken her from life as an outcast into one of reckless adventure, where she is a cool, wary balance to Safi’s hotheaded impulsiveness.

Safi and Iseult just want to be free to live their own lives, but war is coming to the Witchlands. With the help of the cunning Prince Merik (a Windwitch and ship’s captain) and the hindrance of a Bloodwitch bent on revenge, the friends must fight emperors, princes, and mercenaries alike, who will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch.

Truthwitch was extremely hyped by the end of last year; in fact, it was hyped so much that I, unfortunately enough, unconsciously began believing that there was no way the book would live up to its hype. There were promises of immersive world-building, shippy ships, and exquisite relationships (platonic, thank you very much), and much to my surprise, this book delivered. Mostly. It definitely took a while to get into, but it was pretty satisfying when everything was said and done. Of course, I had to stew in the world for a couple of weeks, and it took me more than half of the book to become legitimately invested in the characters and interested in their outcomes, but in the end, I'm glad I stuck with this one despite the struggles I faced with it.

Readers are immediately thrown into the world of the Witchlands, with not even a crash course, historical recap, or character introduction to settle readers into the plot. Instead, we meet Safiya and Iseult right in the thick of things as they are attempting to get revenge on a man that wronged Safi - Safi's brilliant idea, of course. Needless to say, things go on from there, and this book doesn't slow its pace there. This abrupt landing into the novel made it a bit difficult for me to find my balance with this book and understand who and what went where in the world, and because this isn't the smooth ride most books present, it seems to weed out readers, in a way - only people genuinely interested in what the story has to offer will continue with it. Or, let's be honest, a person who has nothing better to do.

I found it extremely difficult to connect with any part of this story for a very long time, and was not at all even vaguely interested until I was nearing the end of the novel. However, once near the end, everything that happened from the beginning began to fix together and form a marvelous mosaic of intrigue, betrayal, friendship, and doubt that I was finally able to begin to appreciate. After all this time spent watching the characters from a rather distant perspective and experiencing some rather intense scenes between characters that I may not have fully admired, after all the unique bleh expressions I used to describe this book whenever someone asked me how I was liking this one so far, the story finally made me feel something. More specifically, some of the things in the novel that made me feel other, wonderful things were:

  • Iseult and the Bloodwitch: Though I was pretty sure that shipping Merik and Safi were supposed to be my priority, the crazy thick tension/incomprehensible relationship/connection between Iseult and the Bloodwitch was what kept my attention. And did I mention he's a very scary man who is intent on ruthlessly killing Safi (and Iseult as well, just 'cause)?
  • Merik and Safi: Okay, despite the predictability of the relationship, Merik and Safi being idiots around each other was pretty fun to watch too.
  • ISEULT AND SAFI'S FRIENDSHIP AND BOND. THEY ARE GOALS.
  • The fictional world: When looking back, the book is reminiscent of ADSOM in terms of the style of the world, as well as the genre and feel/tone of the book in general.

In all honestly, I feel like this book would have been perfection if only I had gone into it with the right mindset. I expected this to disappoint me, and so for most of the book I was convinced that it did. If I had gone into the novel a bit more believing of the hype - darn my bitter, suspicious consciousness - I probably would have been sucked in right from the very first page. Even so, despite the fact that I didn't start out loving this, Truthwitch managed to convince me of its greatness within the latter half of the book through characters that grow on you like moss and a uniquely written plot. I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in Fantasy, and/or authors like V.E. Schwab and Sarah J. Maas.


Rating: 


1 comment:

  1. I don't know if my last comment went or not, so let's try again.

    It took me way more than half way to get into it, too, mine was bumpy, I was getting into it, then I wasn't, then I was, etc, but I never really got into it properly or cared about the characters. I did love the friendships though, even with Merik and what's his face? And that that was put first and not the romance, though Merik and Safi being idiots around each other WAS pretty fun to watch. :P

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2016 The Lone Reader. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.