The Royal We by Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan


"I might be Cinderella today, but I dread who they'll think I am tomorrow. I guess it depends on what I do next."

American Rebecca Porter was never one for fairy tales. Her twin sister, Lacey, has always been the romantic who fantasized about glamour and royalty, fame and fortune. Yet it's Bex who seeks adventure at Oxford and finds herself living down the hall from Prince Nicholas, Great Britain's future king. And when Bex can't resist falling for Nick, the person behind the prince, it propels her into a world she did not expect to inhabit, under a spotlight she is not prepared to face.

Dating Nick immerses Bex in ritzy society, dazzling ski trips, and dinners at Kensington Palace with him and his charming, troublesome brother, Freddie. But the relationship also comes with unimaginable baggage: hysterical tabloids, Nick's sparkling and far more suitable ex-girlfriends, and a royal family whose private life is much thornier and more tragic than anyone on the outside knows. The pressures are almost too much to bear, as Bex struggles to reconcile the man she loves with the monarch he's fated to become.

Which is how she gets into trouble. Now, on the eve of the wedding of the century, Bex is faced with whether everything she's sacrificed for love - her career, her home, her family, maybe even herself - will have been for nothing.

Going into this, I knew that The Royal We was popular with so many people in the world, but I didn't know what to feel going into this. I knew that 1) I would fall in love with this book, because hello, princes, and the cover is basically Kate and William, but another possibility was 2) I would despise this book with my entire being. Turns out, I never quite reached (2), but I got a bit close there in the beginning, and ended up, surprisingly, or unsurprisingly, enough, and (1). By the end of the book, I was in love, no holds barred.

What put me off of the book in the beginning was probably the main character. This probably isn't one of my more admirable traits, but I love the demure heroines who are feisty and freaking awesome in their own right, but always do the right thing, are pretty much in control of themselves, and rarely let their feelings show. It's terrible, but it's the truth. So when I started reading and was confronted with Bex, almost the complete opposite in terms of personality, I'll admit I was a bit struck. Add to that the unique style of narration that really betrays the voice of the author, and this book was completely unlike any I had ever read before.

The characters were the other aspect of the novel that was completely unlike anything I had expected. It was going around that this was a sort of Kate & William fan-fiction, and while I both agree and disagree, that notion is extremely misleading. Bex and Nick's characters - as well as everyone else's - was very modern and rather unroyal. When I think royalty, I think fairytales and Disney and everlasting love and gentleness, etc. etc., but that is not this. No, this is quick love and heartbreak and condoms falling all over the prince and a whole lot of crazy - it takes a while to get used to, but once you're there, you're all in.

As usual, I started becoming more interested in Bex and Nick's story once they started hitting the rough bits of their relationship. Yes, they were cute and adorable (and sometimes really not) beforehand, but me and my weird self gets most involved in the painful scenes that make your heart want to leap out of your chest and run away screaming. I think that these parts especially were written extraordinarily well, and it was through these scenes that I really became involved and invested in the couple's relationship.

I want to say that I wish the ending could have been better, or given the reader more information, but honestly I was quite happy with it. It left many things open-ended and many questions unanswered, but by the time I finished the novel I had been with these characters for a month in my life, and eight years in theirs, so I was actually pretty happy just be done with the emotional ride. Still, I can't say that I wouldn't read the sequel if there ever is one. The Royal We is an original book that every Romance reader should try: it'll feed a little romantic demon inside of you that you didn't even know you had, and it'll make you cry and laugh your heart out to boot.


Rating: ★★★★★ 


2 comments:

  1. Okay, I've been wanting to read it but I've read a few meh reviews, I'm not really a Royalist at all but I so am when it comes to Will & Kate and yup, that cover basically is, so got to admit I love reading about stuff like that. AND IT SOUNDS ADORABLE, but I do like that it gets painful (and that's usually when I get invested too, to be honest, because you don't know how you really feel about a book until shit happens.) Next time I need romance, I need to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it when you get the chance to read it and are in the mood! Just be ready for a wild ride haha - I can't wait to hear your thoughts about it.

      Delete

Copyright © 2016 The Lone Reader. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.