Movies That Didn't Completely Fail Their Books - Pt. 1

One of the requirements of being a reader is that you not only acknowledge, but scream the fact that you just know that there's no way the movie version will be better than the book. However, we're all pleasantly surprised every now and then when we watch a movie based on a book that surprisingly, actually does not bring you to rage on behalf of the brilliant book. Sometimes, but very rarely, the movie even exceeds the book. But that's incredibly rare, and you definitely don't want to go spouting this if you haven't even read the book. So what are the movies that didn't embarrass their books? 

1. The Harry Potter Series



I think we can all safely agree that the Harry Potter series has not only the best books, but also the best movies to go along with them. The cast is perfect, the little less than three hours long movie length is perfect, and best of all, these never get boring (although my favorite movies will always be 1-5). Even better: watching the movies actually inspired some people to read the book. It doesn't get better than that.

2. Austenland 



It's doubtful that there's a bigger Austenland fan than me. I've probably watched this movie a million times, and read the book a little less than that. I loved the movie the first time I watched it, but thought that it was a bit too silly for the book and didn't do justice for it. However, from the second watch on, this was my go-to movie for every situation. I've made at least five people watch it with me just so I could show off it's awesomeness, and believe it or not, I think it's come to the point where I'd rather watch the movie than read the book. #ILoveJJField

3. The Ruby Red Series



First of all, if you haven't read this series by Kerstin Gier yet, please stop reading this blog, go buy all the books, and then read them. Do not eat, do not take bathroom breaks, do not sleep: just read. And then go binge the first two movies, get yourself amped up for movie number three. And then you can come back and read this blog because don't worry, I'll still be here, and we can fangirl about the series together.

4. The Divergent Series



I have yet to watch the latest movie installment in this series, but let me just say that the first movie was amazing. Yes, part of that may be contributed to Theo James's face, but the credit still goes to the movie. I actually bought the DVD so that should tell you how much I liked it. I didn't love the other books in the series but I will admit the second movie was well done, if not totally my thing, so kudos, Divergent. Kudos.

5. Pride & Prejudice (The 1995 Version, Of Course)



Two words: Colin. Firth. But really though, he is the perfect Darcy. But also, what's so great about the miniseries is that it pretty much includes every single moment from the book, exactly as it is written, and it is beautiful. True, it can be a bit tedious to watch if you're not in the right mood, but who cares because it is a masterpiece. There is pretty much nothing better to do with your life than watch Colin Firth as Darcy glaring out a window (I'm not even joking).


Any guesses as to which movies will make it onto tomorrow's list of movies that didn't completely fail their books?


4 comments:

  1. I’m not a huge movie fan, so the Harry Potter movies are the only ones I’ve seen from this list. I love the Potter movies. I also think The Hunger Games movies are really good. The Martian movie is a pretty faithful adaptation, too.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually always watch the movie if I've read the book, though sometimes I get bored and decide not to haha. I did love the first THG movie and the others are really well done, but I guess my interest in the series weaned over the years, if that makes sense - I loved the books when they first came out though. I haven't watched (or read) The Martian but I've heard really good things about it!

      Delete
  2. I've seen/read the Harry Potter, Pride and Prejudice, and Divergent movies and books and completely agree! I do have to admit I like the 2005 P&P though :P Although I haven't seen the 1995 one YET. The Hunger Games did a pretty good job in my opinion, although like you said above, my interest kind of waned. Clearly I need to read Ruby Red ASAP ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually watched the 2005 first, before I read the book, and really loved it! It's a really good interpretation, but now that I've read the book I can't go back to anything other than the Colin Firth version haha. And yes, please read Ruby Red!! It's an amazing series - I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

      Delete

Copyright © 2016 The Lone Reader. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.