Why I Loved A Tyranny of Petticoats: 15 Stories Of Belles, Bank Robbers, & Other Badass Girls


1. True to it's claim on the cover, this anthology is filled with a whole bunch of kickass women who will make you feel freaking proud to be a lady.

I didn't really know what to expect from this when I started it, and simply picked it up because I wasn't in the mood to read an actual book. Yes that's a terrible reason to start a book like this, but clearly it paid off because once I started, not only was I delighted, but I literally couldn't stop reading. A kickass woman here, a badass one over there, repeating for the entirety of the anthology, and it is pretty much a fangirl's dream. Add that to the amazing authors who wrote each story - only a few of which I actually recognized, though I'm looking into the new-to-me authors because I love awesome writers - and this book of short stories is my favorite of them all.

2. Anthology deaths hurt too (and we all know how much I love being in crippling, emotional pain). 

Funnily enough, the first story itself features death, and you'd be surprised by how much it hurts. These main characters are amazing and it's obvious from even the little snippet of their lives we get to read. There are a surprising amount of short stories in this anthology where the main character dies, and even more surprising is how offended I got on behalf of the character when that happened. Like excuse you, how dare you, evil character, cause the death of this super awesome human right here who is so much better than you? There were so many feels and I loved it.

3. I love that a couple of the stories have romance, because for some reason, there are books/people that seem to think that they can't be feminist if they have romance, and there's just so much wrong with that line of thinking.

When I first started reading this I actually thought it would be romance-free, but I didn't mind because unlike some books (I'm thinking of Mechanica), it wasn't like the authors were giving the main characters the possibility of love, and then ripping it away, teaching the character that she'd be alone but it was okay because she is feminist. That's not what feminism is. I'm probably explaining this terribly, but what it all comes down to is that this anthology is not stupid, it knows what it's doing with its badass girls, and it is wonderful.

4. The time periods that the stories are set in - well, it's like the authors stuck a hand into my head and gave me exactly what I wanted most.

It's no secret that I adore stories set in historical settings, and this book did just that in the most perfect way possible. At first, I thought that all of these stories would be set in a Victorian-like setting, but only a few of them did. The rest were full of people from diverse backgrounds and diverse settings, all of which served to make this anthology intriguing, and kept the reader from becoming bored. There are stories of ghosts, trust, friendship, love, death, and family - all set sometime in the past. There are real life events, there is fiction, and there are stories/characters based on true stories. There's real inspiration in these stories, and nobody who picks up this book will regret it.

5. I wasn't in the mood to start a new story and read it from start to finish, so being able to get a taste of different characters and different worlds/time periods was just what I needed.

As I said before, I was in the perfect mood for this book when I began reading it. I'd probably suggest reading this in-between intense books, simultaneously reading other books (you could read a few stories at a time), or maybe when you're in a book slump. Of course, if you're super excited for it, then just read it now, because in all honesty, this book will blow you away no matter what you're doing or what you're feeling. This is such a feel-good anthology that you need in your life, preferably sooner rather than later.

-

My favorite short story of them all? I think I'll go with Hard Times by Katherine Longshore. I haven't been able to get it out of my head since I first read it: the main character is brave, selfless, and untrusting, but an encounter with a journalist gives her new hope for more to look forward to in her future. The other characters in the story are perfect as well, and the story is just so heart-warming - I can imagine an entire book from that single scene.


Have you read this anthology yet? If so, what's your favorite thing about it/your favorite story? If not, what are you most excited for?



No comments:

Copyright © 2016 The Lone Reader. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.