Ten Things To Know About The Me Before You Movie


I decided to read the book a few weeks before the release of the movie, and I fell in love like a bee falls in love with honey. I actually just ordered some Louisa and Will bookmarks - these ones here - and also got one of my friends to fall in love with the story to keep me company. Needless to say, I had a problem with a certain something about the romance that I won't spoil if you aren't familiar with it, but even so, I look forward to the day I have this book on my shelf (probably when it becomes less popular again and thus, cheaper). So, what this means is that my ten things to know about the Me Before You movie are written from the perspective of a young lady who simply adored the novel.

1. The screenplay for the movie is written by the author, Jojo Moyes, which seemed a very positive thing to me when I first saw that on the screen, and indeed, the movie is a pretty exacting adaptation of the book. This only becomes a problem when you read the book not too long ago and already know the novel word-for-word.

2. After reading the book, there is nothing significantly different between the book and the movie, especially if you read the book after watching the trailer. The movie is pretty much what went on in my head during the book, so watching the film was simply akin to re-reading the book.

3. When you already know what happens in the book and already cried yourself out after reading Me Before You in addition to its sequel, there's only tearless resignation and faint remnants of rage to keep you company. Nevertheless, your friends on either side of you bawling their eyes out will provide for endless amusement and enough tears for the lot of you.

4. Sam Claflin does a wonderful Will Traynor, and Emilia Clarke does an amazing Louisa Clark. And yes, the Christy Brown impression at the beginning of his and Louisa's acquaintance is spot-on.


5. There have been so many articles ever since the movie came out about how the movie has a bad message and how wrong it is, and I mean, I get where they're coming from, but this is one person we're talking about, and a fictional person at that. Obviously there are many people in the world who make the best of their life on matter what hits them (and I don't mean that as a pun), but Will Traynor is simply not one of those people. Yes he is selfish, and yes, you don't have to be happy with him, but he is what he is. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but I thought a lot about this with the two books I read and simply decided that it's not my business, or anyone else's really, to classify someone's decision as right or wrong. I'd gotten all my thinking done before I even got to the movie, and thank goodness for that.

6. Louisa's outfits in the movie are basically the most perfect things ever. Also, her bumblebee tights are to die for I'm not even kidding why can't I pull those off?



7. Louisa's family is so ridiculously nicer in this movie than in the book. In the book her sister annoyed me and her family didn't seem as nice as they could be. In the film, however, I loved everybody (part of which may have been because her sister was played by the most recent Doctor Who companion, but also because she was genuinely nicer and more supportive).

8. Similarly, Louisa's boyfriend, Patrick, seemed better and more well-intentioned than he did in the book (again, part of which is probably because he's Neville). But yes, I definitely still wouldn't want him as a boyfriend, so that worked out.

9. The scenery/setting was gorgeous, and potentially better and more authentic than what I had imagined in my own head. It was the first thing I noticed about the movie, and I loved it.

10. If you watched this in theaters or are going to, I have to say, the ambience that is a ton of other girls plus adorable older couples makes for a truly delightful experience.

SaveSave

5 comments:

  1. The one thing convincing me to go see this movie is the fact that the trailers are absolutely delightful. After seeing the trailer I read a bunch of reviews on Goodreads and figured out the ending... which makes me want to avoid the movie, but, again, delightful trailers. I'm glad to hear it's so close to the book (minus horrible people) because, unless I love it, I'm probably only going to see the movie.
    When the movie comes into the cheap theater I'll probably drag Sarah along to watch (and cry) with me. Glad to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trailers are pretty wonderful, aren't they? I wasn't sure about the ending and was only aware it was a possibility thanks to the title of the second book in the series. I would definitely recommend reading the book because it's amazing, but if you're not into it I completely get that. I can't wait to hear what you think of the movie when you get to watch it!

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely interested in seeing this movie - probably on dvd rather than at the theater. I really enjoyed the book, but I didn't cry a single tear - I might though when I see the movie. :) I can totally understand why Clara and Neville would seem nicer than the book versions of their characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this post was a HUGE relief to read!! I've been seriously considering not going to the movie just because the book means so much to me and I don't want the movie adaptation to ruin it in some way but your post has definitely relieved me of some of my worries! THANK YOU!! <33

    I LOVE how on point they seem to have got Lou's sense of dressing on screen and every time I see a picture of her and her bumblebee tights (like the above one!!) makes me want to cry!! (And buy my own bumblebee tights hehe)

    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the sweetest comment ever, thank you so much for saying that!! I hope you ended up enjoying the movie if you went to watch it!

      Delete

Copyright © 2016 The Lone Reader. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.