What The Hunt by Megan Shepard Didn't Succeed In


The Hunt is the second book in Megan Shepard's The Cage series, and if you've been following me as I've reviewed books from blog to blog, you'll know that I loved the first book in the series. The plot twist at the end right about killed me, I was in love with the main love interest, Cassian, and everything was fine and good (and also not good because Cora and the gang were, you know, stuck on space and stuff). But the point is that it was wonderful, and I felt about it much like I did about Shepard's debut novel, The Madman's Daughter

Now, I've begun to notice that I form a sort of pattern with Megan Shepard's trilogies, apparently. I fall in love fast and hard with the first book in the series, and obsess over it forever. Then, when the second book comes around, it takes me a bit of a while to get to it, and it also takes me a bit of a while to read it. In the end I acknowledge it was good, but for some reason it just didn't hook me like the first book. The third book of this series hasn't even come out yet, but I never actually got to the third book in The Madman's Daughter series, so hopefully that won't happen to this series as well. But you never really know.

Anyways, with this book we're still on step two of my Megan Shepard book habits, so yes I admit that it was a good book and can think fondly of it, but while I was reading I didn't know what to feel. So here's what The Hunt did not succeed in accomplishing:

1. Making me re-fall fast and hard in love with Cassian. I thought I felt absolutely nothing for him at the beginning, but after a while I started to like him again. He's definitely an interesting character and I'd love to read more about him, but I definitely don't feel for him (yet) what I did in the first installment.

2. Remembering who was who and what exactly went wrong at the end of book one. I got the general gist of things but pretty much had to wing it at the beginning until I finally figured out who was who as I continued reading.

3. Being totally interested in the multiple perspectives and what was happening to everyone who was not Cora. Though eventually I got used to it and didn't mind it, so it was fine.

4. Being extremely eager for the next book and just having to know what happens next. Like I said, I'm very aware of how good a book this is, but I'm just not into the genre at the moment and am not sure how invested I really am in all of the characters and their plight. However, I would like to see some more Cassian-Cora interactions, so I might just find myself reading - and most likely loving - the final book in the trilogy.

However, other than that, this book was a worthy sequel to The Cage. Once I became comfortable with the characters and the world again, it was easy to root for the characters as well as worry a surprising amount for Cassian's well-being. I can definitely see the parallels between my feelings toward this second book and the second book in The Cage series, but I'm just going to hope for the best. But if you really enjoyed the first book in this trilogy and don't suffer from the same unusual Megan Shepard book pattern that I do, then go ahead and continue to this book, because you will love it.


Rating: ★★★★

No comments:

Copyright © 2016 The Lone Reader. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.