Nannyland by Jane Elizabeth Hughes Is Somewhere Between Authors Sophie Kinsella And Jojo Moyes


All I remember about picking up Nannyland is that I was told in some synopsis or the other that the book would have a Sound of Music vibe to it - I've been looking for a book that could stand as a Sound of Music adaptation since maybe the third time I watched the movie, and though I told myself not to get too excited, lo and behold, I really thought that this might be the one. Unfortunately for me, it definitely wasn't. So what happened from the beginning of the book to the end of the book that has me unsure about how to feel about everything?

• One of the main aspects of the novel I was looking forward to was a love interest similar to Captain von Trapp, and the love interest in this dude was most certainly nothing like him.

In The Sound of Music, Captain von Trapp is everything I love in a man, at least when one is first introduced to him: good-looking, slightly scary/intimidating, and abominably rude, stubborn, and arrogant. Definitely no easy smiles from that guy. In Nannyland, however, Lord John Grey simply doesn't do it for me. He's British, rather obviously interested in having sex with the main character, Jordy, and he simply isn't anything at all that I look for in a fictional man. It was disappointing, to say the least, but I eventually got used to him. I never loved him, and at certain points in the story I wanted to clock him, but I came to accept his role as the love interest.

• I don't think I paid attention to anything that I was supposed to pay attention to - I believe one of the only things I was genuinely interested in was the digging up of information about the old historical queen, friend/cousin to Queen Elizabeth. 


One of the main plots of the story was the recovering of information about an old queen, one whom one of the children was named after. Everyone thought they knew her story, and she was a symbol of sorts, but she seemed to lead a very dull life. Of course, Jordy takes it upon herself to prove everyone wrong, and what she discovers is thrilling. In History class, all I cared about was the historical figure hidden between the text - the everyday things they felt and acted that we'd never know. This book acted on that instinct and created a whole story for a queen who was misunderstood, and the continuous new information being found on this young girl kept me hooked throughout the novel.

• The writing is that no nonsense type of writing that doesn't aid or detract from the story, but rather sets the scene and flat mood in the way of several adult contemporary romance + humor authors.

Probably in part due to the writing, the novel didn't really hook me at all, and at times, I only kept reading in order to finish the book. With this writing style, one's interest in the novel is almost entirely dependent on the characters and the storyline, and in Nannyland, I was never overly fond of either of these things. There's definitely a emphasis on the comedy in this romantic comedy, and the romance didn't have angst or feelings or much, really. The romance was just there, and things progressed, but I would not recommend that anyone read this for that aspect of the book, since it's only sure to disappoint. There are a few cute moments, but they're just there - you don't feel them.

• I suppose I was expecting to fall in love with this book like I did with Austenland - the covers are similar, after all - but everything about this book kept me from loving it. I've totally friend-zoned this book.

The romance, the characters, the plot, the main character, the whining of said main character, and so much else about this book ended up being a disappointment. This book isn't necessarily bad, it's just that it really isn't for me. I'm assuming the demographic for this book is a much older audience, as I connected to nothing at all in this book, and though at times it was an interesting read, more often than not I wasn't even sure why I kept on reading.


Rating: ★★★ + 1/2

No comments:

Copyright © 2016 The Lone Reader. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.