Everything Wrong With Recreated by Colleen Houck


I've been waiting for the release of Recreated ever since I finished Reawakened and concluded that Tiger's Curse isn't the only Colleen Houck series I could be in love with. Yeah, this series started out a ton like TC, but that's not really a negative thing, is it? After picking up this book on release day, I decided to forgo my usual I'm too scared to read this so I'm just going to let it sit pretty for a couple of hours while I admire it method. Instead, I went right into this book like a girl starving in the desert, and gosh darn it, there were consequences.

The first book in this series was amazing, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, in my opinion. It led readers on about things that could potentially happen in the next books, and the romance between Amon and Lily was the cutest, complete with angst and all. I mean, this quote, guys. You can't go wrong.
A desert lily need not turn jealous eyes toward the common violet.
I was looking forward to something of the same in this second installment to the series, but whatever happened in this book didn't really sync with the contents of the last book. It was the same setting with the same characters, and definitely had the same feel, but it seemed to me like it was possible that the author may have had a different direction she planned on taking the story - or maybe this was always her plan, I don't know. What I do know is I'm not sure I like it.

Lily spent way too much time having thoughts about other guys - and I mean many other guys - while she should have been worrying over how to save Amon.

• Amon himself only takes up maybe fifteen pages max of this book, and only about two of those pages are him in physical reality.

• There's a thing that happens with Lily in order for her to become a sphinx, and I don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say that I'm not fond of what she had to do and the consequences of that decision.

• Anubis is hot and Set is the villain of this story, and it's all just a little too similar to The Red Pyramid for my taste. I get that there's only so much you can do with Egyptian mythology, but it would be nice to have something original (like the first book, more or less) for a change. Everything readers learn in this book is basically old knowledge for people familiar with Egypt's past.

• I wasn't necessarily against the theoretical idea of the scarab containing Amon's heart causing all the Egyptian gods to find Lily irresistible, but what it really turned out to be was a bunch of dudes pretty successfully seducing Lily - not exactly my cup of tea.

• The plot was soooooo slow.

• I feel like this book is ultimately unnecessary in the larger scheme of the series, except for maybe the Egyptian mythology backstory. All this book really seemed to accomplish was to make Lily examine her love and emotions; in other words, it was really boring.


If I had been an uninterested third party while reading this, then maybe it wouldn't have been that bad of a book, but because I'm so invested in Amon and Lily, I didn't love the plot. I can only hope that the next book in the series makes up for this one, because if not, I'm not sure I want to keep up with it.


Rating: ★★★

No comments:

Copyright © 2016 The Lone Reader. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.