Harry Potter And The Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling &etc. Is Freaking Brilliant


I wasn't all that excited about Cursed Child - I mean, I knew I was going to read it and everything, but I didn't have high expectations since I had no clue what adding another installment to Harry's story was going to do to the original seven-book series. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of all things Harry Potter, but I guess all the hype about this book made me feel a bit disinterested. I would have loved to have seen the play and obviously would have adored it, but is that enough reason to get excited about a script? My thoughts: meh.

However, as it turned midnight on July 31 and the book was released and people were at Barnes & Noble release day parties everywhere, I got sucked into the excitement as well, downloaded the ebook, and binged the whole script in a few hours. And it was glorious. 

• I was afraid that Harry, Ron, Hermione, and the rest of the gang would be all old and boring - stereotypes, I know - but lo and behold, they're still clearly the same people they were back at Hogwarts. 

Harry is older and he has kids now, but it's easy to see that he is nevertheless and reckless, unsure of himself, brave, and shaped by his past as he was even as a ten-year old child. Same goes for the rest of his friends as well: Ron is ridiculous, Hermione is book-crazy, and Draco is honestly HOT. I was surprised by how much I loved meeting up with the older group as well as several of their children, and it was great rehashing plot points from the older books.

• I worried that the plot was going to be dull, especially compared to the other books (I'm sorry but I'm not even going to try not to compare them), but it was extremely good, if not up to par with the original series. 

I loved nearly every moment of this book - except maybe the shaky bit at the beginning where we're still getting used to the new characters and their personalities - and that's all I'm going to say because I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone.

• Reading the story as a script does not take away too much from the reading experience, and in fact, actually makes it easier to imagine watching it as a play.

While I mostly refuse to call this "the eighth Harry Potter book" because it's not a book and you can't add more to the HP series, only around it, Cursed Child was still a ridiculously brilliant read. Thanks to the script, my mind was able to come up with stage directions and props and the like, and if it's the closest I'll get to watching the show, then I'll take it. There's certainly a different sort of feel to reading Harry Potter as a script rather than a several hundred-page long novel, but I take that as a positive aspect: it helps to further distinguish this story from the original series, which in turn, keeps the comparison between the two from becoming a competition.

• There were a surprising amount of emotions involved, and I loved every moment.

The first moment I felt even remote interest for the idea of Cursed Child was when J.K. Rowling announced that it would be emotional/cause tears, and indeed she was right. I cried four and a half time during the script - for a variety of reasons, to be honest - and I cannot stress how worth the read this story is. If you are an avid Harry Potter fan, you definitely want to pick this book up asap, even if you're not sure it's worth your time.

I'm not saying there aren't any flaws in this book, or that some things couldn't have been done a teeny bit better, but everything about this script reads as more of a spin-off, meaning that I personally don't bother to hold it up to HP 1-7 standards, and thus, truly enjoyed it.


Other Things:


• Draco's son is hands-down the best.
There are lots of (potential) ships.


Rating: ★★★★★

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the story! I haven't read it yet but I've read the spoilers and those gave me an initially bad opinion of the story, but everyone seems to be enjoying it. Maybe it will seem better when I actually get around to reading it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts so clearly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scorpius really was the best; he was my favorite character in the whole play. I was also glad to see Draco get a pretty good role as well, I feel like he's finally developed into the type of character everyone has been hoping for FOR YEARS.

    I had a few issues with the characters and story, but it's really a good addition to the HP universe and I'm glad that it's out in the world. I can't imagine what it would be like to actually see the play. I was literally getting creeped out after part 1, but I started it after 1am and I was the only one up in a quiet house, so that could have been a factor. I can't imagine how intense the play would be live. While I found it easy to read the script and imagine how it looked/sounded, I did have a bit of an emotional disconnect and so I didn't cry any. But the more I read it the more I will like it, I think.

    I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2016 The Lone Reader. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.